If you've been experiencing migraines more frequently, have been told by your partner that you’re snoring, or are losing focus while managing daily tasks, you could be experiencing symptoms related to dysfunctions of the jaw joint and the muscles that surround it.
At Masterpiece Smiles/TMJ Sleep Therapy Centre, Drs. Mike & Jeremy Frith combine their extensive knowledge and experience with noninvasive treatments and modern technology to target, treat, and solve TMJ and Sleep Therapy issues. By conducting a thorough evaluation of your airway, we provide guidance on methods that will improve not only its function, but your overall health, as well.
We aim to eliminate the source of the problem by treating the cause, resulting in improvement of pain and symptoms by healing (not masking or just helping the
symptom). This treatment is natural and non-invasive. The specifically designed appliances place the jaw joint in a position that allows it to heal. It is guaranteed to greatly improve jaw problems and eliminate or diminish pain long term.
Here are some of the treatment options available:
TMJ/ TMD Orthotic & Sleep Appliance Therapy At Our Office:
$2,500 to $8,000 (based on case severity). Most common cost is $5,900.
Benefits: A non-surgical option that heals the disorder.
Treatment time is often 3-6 months
Pain and symptoms begin to subside within days to weeks once treatment begins.
A custom designed “Phonetic Bite” appliance helps position the jaw in a way that not only allows it to heal but speeds up healing time.
You will get 2 custom designed orthotic appliances to begin
1. Day time appliance: Improves positioning of the jaw and areas surrounding the jaw - this may even benefit other parts of the body!
2. Nighttime appliance: “Phonetic Bite” appliance helps position the jaw in a way that not only allows healing but speeds up healing time.
- Helps improve sleep
- We focus on improving the Airway which helps to breathe better, improve healing, can help improve posture imbalances and people feeling better.
- Depending on the case use many other therapies to speed up the recovery like Healing Lasers for pain relief and increase healing,
- Oxygen therapy, Prolozone to help with pain and increase healing,
- Natural Healing ointments & Energy Therapies that help with healing/pain relief
- SPG Blocks and Therapies such as Nightlase®- Often helps reduce pain/anxiety headaches
- Accessories and Therapies such as Nightlase® that help improve the Airway and air flow
- Accessories that help improve TMJ & head posture & often provide pain relief
- For assessing the condition of the jaw joint complex we use 3d x-ray (CBCT), JVA (Joint Vibration Analysis), Muscle Palpations, MNRT a reflex for evaluating the health of the jaw joint area and other examinations
- Advanced technology like a 3d x-ray (CBCT), Rhinomanometer, and Sleep Tests are used to evaluate the airway
- Motor Nerve Reflex Testing
- Treatment time takes 3-6 months usually
- Multiple appointments often 4-9 as needed
Alternative Treatments (Services Rendered By Other Providers):
Total TMJ Joint Surgery:
- Treats disorder surgically
- The surgery is invasive. Complications include less than ideal jaw motion range (normal opening is about 45mm, usually after surgery opening is limited to 30mm and often makes eating food like sandwiches difficult), infection, permanent numbness of lip and mouth structures.
- This doesn't support the bite by itself. Often 1-2 years of braces (orthodontics) is needed at an extra fee often $5,000+
- The healing process can be days to weeks
- May have to take off work to recover
$500 to $1000. (May comfort some symptoms but does not treat the disorder.)
- Helps decrease destructive forces to the chewing edges of teeth when worn
- High probability of increased frequency (times) someone clenches/grinds.
- Potential of increasing in the muscles clenching/grinding forces & abfractions by the gumline.
- This may make sleep worse especially if it takes up tongue/airway space
$1,200 to $2,500 per treatment time. (Comforts symptoms but does not treat the disorder.)
- Instant relief
- The relief is temporary (1-5 months), so usually is repeated every 3 months
- It only masks the problem by paralyzing muscles.
- This option does not address or heal the cause of the pain.
- Has to be retreated every few months for a lifetime otherwise the pain can return
TMJ/ TMD Splints and Orthodontics:
Around $7,000 - $14,000.
- Improves the forces and positioning of the jaw joint (usually only 1 appliance for daytime and nightwear is required).
- Teeth are moved and straightened
- Doesn't treat nighttime sleep issues that are often a large part of TMJ/TMD
- Doesn't put the jaw in a different better position to heal at night
- Teeth changes: where back teeth may not touch if the splint is worn longer than a few months, but the orthodontic portion can address that
- Time in splint portion may be 1 -9 months
- Time in orthodontics often 18 months to 3 years
Average Cost: $3,000-$5,000.
- By reposition cartilage and ligaments, this less-invasive surgery is an option for select patients.
- Not everyone is a candidate and only certain patients will benefit from this surgery as it’s meant to repair torn, stretched cartilage/ligaments.
Meet The Doctors
At Masterpiece Smiles, you’re not just getting a dentist office – you’re getting a partner to help you through your healing. Dr. Michael & Dr. Jeremy are caring, compassionate, and understanding. They are also both credentialed to help with pain and sleep. Both Drs. Michael & Jeremy are Diplomates of the American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine (DABDSM) & Qualified Dentist in American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM). Dr. Jeremy is a Fellow in the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain (FAACP), Fellow in the American Academy of Ozonotherapy (FAAO) and earned the designation of Advanced Prolozone Therapy (APT). Dr Mike is a Diplomate in the American Board of Craniofacial Pain (DABCP).
Whether you’re looking to treat a TMJ Disorder, Snoring, Sleep Apnea or Improve Sleep Quality, Drs. Michael and Jeremy Frith and their kind, compassionate team are here to help.
Contact us today – we’d love to help you alleviate pain and restore function.